When I attend cocktail parties, my favorite part is (no, not the cocktails or the good company), the hors d’œuvres!….The small mouthfuls that burst with flavor when you bite into them. I’m talking about those finger foods that are packed with so much flavor so as to satisfy with just a taste. Sadly, these little pieces of heaven are likely to be dripping with grease and packed with an unfavorable amount of saturated fat. Why? Because fat has flavor, and fat tastes good….cheese is fat…bacon is fat. Keep enjoying these and our buns will be…well….generously proportioned. Don’t get me wrong, fat can also be very healthy in the unsaturated form, such as olive oil, avocados, and nuts. Unfortunately, animal fat is just not very healthy. Predominately of the saturated variety, animal fat may be heart stoppingly delicious, and simply heart stopping. So let’s find ways to still enjoy our fats and our fun without near death experiences.
With that, I present to you “Boneless” Cauliflower Hot Wings. These suckers are so good you will never remember you are eating a vegetable! With a crispy crust and a creamy, yet crunchy interior they are to die for. I do dip these in a blue cheese dressing, and yes this is high in saturated fat – but c’mon we just knocked off like a million calories by using cauliflower – so live a little, will ya.
We start by trimming the cauliflower into small pieces and dipping them in a seasoned batter before baking them. I had on hand a few samples of an all purpose gluten-free flour that I was interested in testing out, so I used this- but regular whole wheat flour works great as well.
Once the cauliflower pieces are coated in the batter, bake for 15 minutes. Remove them from the oven and coat with the hot sauce mixture (cayenne pepper sauce, I like Frank’s Red Hot, and a dollop of coconut oil). Return these little jewels to the toasty oven to cook for an additional 12-14 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. If they aren’t crisping up enough, place them under the broiler for 3-4 minutes.
I like extra sauce, so I prefer to drizzle additional hot sauce over the “hot wings” when they are fresh out of the oven. Serve with your favorite blue cheese dressing and celery sticks, and enjoy!!
- 1 Head Cauliflower
- 1 Cup All Purpose Gluten-Free or Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ Cup Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Coconut or Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Trim and cut cauliflower into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix together batter ingredients
- Add cauliflower pieces to batter and coat evenly
- Spread onto baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and coat with sauce mixture. Bake for an additional 12-14 minutes
- If “wings” aren’t crispy enough, place under the broiler for an additional 3-4 minutes
- Coat with extra sauce if you so choose. Serve with celery and blue cheese dressing. Enjoy!