Waking up early enough for a sit-down breakfast has never been my style. I have just enough time to shower and walk the dog before I’m out the door. That being said, I will not sacrifice a healthy start- I simply make sure I always have grab and go bites to eat as I’m on the run.
These “For the Birds” Granola Bars are fiber-filled, protein-packed, ultra delicious and are perfect as a meal or a snack thanks to their secret ingredient. They remind me of food for the birds because there are lots of small seeds and morsels that look like they belong in a bird’s house. These bars are just sweet enough to satisfy but, however, have real staying power thanks to heart-healthy fats and plant protein. The secret ingredients, garbanzo beans (AKA chickpeas) keep them moist and only add to the nutrition of the bars. With loads of fiber and a generous supply of protein, they are the perfect for starting the morning off right. Plus, their flavor is so mild that no one would ever guess beans are inside!
Having no flour, this recipe is easily gluten-free and vegan friendly. Although oats don’t actually contain the proteins comprising gluten, they are often processed in the same facility, and on the same conveyor belts as wheat, barley, and rye. Bob’s Red Mill makes gluten-free oats that are processed separately and now widely available at most supermarkets. Because most chocolate chips contain dairy, it is important to look for vegan chocolate chips if you are making these vegan friendly.
The food processor does most of the work by pureeing beans, dates, honey, and salt to a smooth consistency. Then you simply add the remaining ingredients, stir and bake on a quarter sheet pan or square 8 x 8 inch pan. The bars should cool completely before being cut. Depending on the size of the bars, this recipe should yield 12-15 bars. Enjoy!
- 1 - 15 oz Can Garbanzo Beans
- 12 Pitted Deglet Noor Dates
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Flax Seeds
- ½ Cup Raw Honey
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups Oats
- 1 ½ Chopped Nuts or Seeds of Your Choice (I like a mix of Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, and Sliced Almonds)
- 1/2 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, combine beans, dates, flax seeds, honey, and salt. Process until completely smooth.
- Remove mixture from food processor, add remaining ingredients, and stir well.
- Press onto a greased quarter sheet pan and 8 x 8 inch pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow completely cool and cut into 12-15 bars.
- Bars can be stored in refrigerator for one week. Enjoy!